Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A flash of metal

We have some metal on the house - gutters were installed yesterday. I didn't go all the way around the house, but the ones on the front were installed, anyways. The sheet metal guys also installed heater/AC inlets and outlets in the house.
.
All the roof sheeting appeared to be on except where the dormers are, as they were not built yet. I think that was on the agenda for today after he put in the plumbing vents out the roof, as that was first on his list.
.
I asked about putting a timer on the bathroom fans. I don't think we were quite on the same page as he was probably thinking of a manual "twist" timer, while I was thinking of something more like this:
.
http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/39_766_134
.
with a hidden adjustable timer behind the switch. You can turn off the switch and the light goes off but the fan still runs for up to 1 hour. I'll have to print that out and show it to him.
.
Looked at plumbing fixtures today and my, have they gotten expensive. Ouch.
.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I replaced the main fan switches with something like this: http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/39_766_128 and they work very well, especially since you can extend the time just by tapping it once more (ours are 10/20/30/60 models). Of course, our vent fans don't have lights in them, so may not be great for you.

Note that electronic timers should vastly outlast any kind of manual timer -- by a factor of 3 or more. The manual timers just give out, particularly under the high humidity conditions they exist in.

Ron said...

Tom, can you please give me a model # or something? The URL is too long to read in the comment section.

Thanks for the tip about electronic vs. manual timers. I'll definitely look into getting one for bathroom areas.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find out about this blog? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Odd, I can click on the URL here even though it's too wide.

Anyway, Leviton Electronic Off-Timers, model #5010.743.

Oh, and this is Zathrus. Silly Warhawk.

Ron said...

Ah, Z, see the "tom" just threw me off. ;-)

I use IE7 at home, I wonder if that is why it isn't a link and just a URL I have to copy and paste. It is cut off in the middle of the word "consumer" and I can't see the rest.

That timer may be a better way to go than the hidden one in the faceplate. I think some may get confused as to why the switch is off and the fan is still running. :-)